Monday, May 20, 2013

Manic Make-over Monday

They're done, they're finally done! And here, for your viewing pleasure...the big reveal.

my newly painted cabinets!
I am pretty sure our cabinets are about 100 years old and they looked it. I have always heard that the best way to give your kitchen an inexpensive make-over is by painting the cabinets. Well, that sounded like a big project to me. Tim and I are not big into the DIY projects, repairing and restoring a fixer-upper is NOT our idea of a good time. But we do strive to be good stewards of our home and if we can increase functionality or aesthetics both easily and inexpensively, then we're all in!
Here's a before pic, doors are already off, but gives you a feel for
their "natural beauty."
My awesome crew. Always amazes me what even a small "army" of moms can accomplish!
So thankful for all their hard work, and for teaching me how to do this.


Here's a closer look at the hardware we chose. I really like it, but it was a little tedious to get on and we had to special order the hinges. Apparently no one makes black hinges and only 1 store could even order them. That's ok, I was willing to wait. :)  We have a cool, vintage style black kitchen table and I really wanted black hardware. We finished the cabinets in less than 2 days, but then it took another month to finish the hardware, touch-ups, etc. We're on twin-time!


Couple more pictures of our kitchen cabinets and their much needed make-over!


We're really happy with how everything turned out and it wasn't as challenging of a project as we thought it would be. If I had my druthers, I would pick a really bright color like turquoise for the cabinets, but I had already painted the walls blue and didn't want to repaint so I will happily "settle" for cream. Definitely brightens up our small kitchen!

We were so thankful for the fantastic coaches helping us along. Tim took 2 days off work to watch all the pre-schoolers downstairs (what a guy!) and us moms went to work! Another friend from our mom's group even brought us lunch. Such a sweet group of ladies I have had to pleasure to meet with every week for the past 4 years. We actually finished before lunchtime on the second day, which I thought was pretty amazing. 

And....we even saved a little moolah by using up some of our stash of "duplex" paint. Hazzah! 

3 comments:

  1. I love it!!!!! It's so fun to watch how a little bit of paint can literally transform a place. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous!!! Love it Heidi. It brightens up the whole kitchen.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...