Monday, August 20, 2012

Pour me out

Time to break the silence!

Sorry for the lapse in writing, it's been a busier-than-usual week I guess. One of my besties keeps a blog along the lines of "I Only Have 5 Minutes." Love the idea on getting on more often and just writing whatever I can in only 5 minutes. Perhaps I need to follow suit.

Bunny trail...

I've felt an urging to use my "free" time a little differently lately and it hasn't left a lot of time for blogging. My blond sensation and I never really felt the need to read any books on parenting when we only had 1 child. He was easy and there was only 1 of him. Then, along came twins and goodbye went time to read. Though we are still in the season of life where if we sit down to read anything, we fall dead asleep, its time. Time to read about better, more intentional methods than what seems to just "come naturally."

Thus my new hobby was born: cramming parenting books during naptime.

I will say that new hobby has ironically created some extra chaos around my house. Typically, during naptime, I clean, my house and myself,  I make dinner and I catch up on whatever I have fallen behind on: bills, laundry, etc. Now that I am reading during naptime, and drinking coffee to stay awake, I have seriously fallen behind. So, its possible that we may be eating a lot more frozen pizza and Goldfish for dinner unless I can come up with another plan. Hey, at least the Goldfish are whole grain. Life saver, those crackers. Life. Saver.

One of my favorite verses for parenting is Philians 2:17 "But even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you." This is the verse God brought to mind as I was pondering my new normal last week.

I know that I clean too much, I like a clean house. I also know that I could probably take the easy way a little more often with mealtime and my children would still learn healthy eating habits. I like to cook. I like homemade bread, who doesn't?!

But I also like to be obedient. And I know that if I pour myself out, in big AND little ways, if I care for my boys to the best of my ability, God will care for me. Because, after all,


they're worth it.

Yes, I know this picture is almost a year old; I told you I was behind.

Ok, time to get back to reading!

What parenting books have you appreciated?

3 comments:

  1. Hey my sweet Northern sister! I am so glad you found me!! I have been running ever since returned from the conference in July. I can't seem to catch my breath here lately! SO GLAD you found me. :) I am just now contacting some of the sweet ladies I met at the conference. Love this post about reading parenting books. I only have one child and believe me, I desperately need to learn more. He is like five in one! So I need more knowledge and wisdom in my brain than I have. I reccomend a great book, "How to talk so your children will listen." SO good. Lots of practical advice. My favorite is the broken record technique. Takes a lot of patience and endurance to say the same thing but it works! Brings your children back to what you instructed them to do. Your boys are so precious! Keep blogging and keep running! Love your site! I will email you soon! Hugs, Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have read "Spiritual Parenting" more than once. Very good read! Focuses on your child's heart rather than his/her behavior. I think it is one we will go back to many times as the girls grow up.
    I'm curious as to what books YOU are reading, Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might consider "Raising Cain"... It's specifically about raising boys, and "Wild at Heart" has some useful insights on men in general, but definitely applies to raising boys.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...