Friday, August 31, 2012

Favorite Quote Friday

It's been over a week since I publicly "announced" I was going to be slammin' through parenting books during naptime. (I would still appreciate more recommendations :)

Well, as you can maybe imagine, I am still reading the same one, Shepherding a Child's Heart. When I do read, I read fast, but half of the time I still fall asleep. I like this book, there's some good stuff in it, but its also the first one I've read, so judge for yourself.

And it's really hard to not cook or clean. Is it really even possible? For me, I'm not so sure. I know there are people out there who say they don't cook or clean. So....me thinks I will keep trying. I just did a little sweeping and there's a roast in the crockpot, so that should tide us for over for a good week, right?

Right?

Probably not, but all things in moderation.

Except coffee, no room for moderation there. At least with twins.

So, for this week's quote, from the 1 parenting book I hope to soon have under my belt:

"Parenting is your primary calling. Parenting will mean that you can't
do all the things that you could otherwise do. It will affect your
golf handicap. It may mean your home does not look like a
picture from Better Homes and Gardens. It will impact your 
career and ascent on the corporate ladder. It will alter the kind
of friendships you will be available to pursue. It will influence
the kind of ministry you are able to pursue. It will modify the amount
of time you have for bowling, hunting, television, 
or how many books you read. (Sleep, it will hinder your sleep 
and your time with your spouse!) It will mean that you can't develop
every interest that comes along (or ever Pinterest project).
The costs are high."

(italics mine)

Obviously I don't care about golfing or the corporate ladder, but I have been feeling the burn of how parenting affects my relationships, ministry and hobbies. Because it really does! The cost is high. Very high. But the reward is higher still.

I do feel kinda boring these days. I don't have many hobbies anymore because who has time? or energy?! Once the cooking, cleaning and parenting book reading is done there isn't much time left over for ministry.

My favorite "hobby" these days is veggin' out with my Blond Sensation and watching Person of Interest. In case I am being unclear: not a hobby.

Part of that is my personality. For me, I hear from God best when my schedule isn't full. When I am racing from one thing to the next, its harder for me to hear His still, small voice. And I don't want to be so tired that I never want to read my Bible to or pray with my husband. I know myself and I know that's what will happen if I allow myself to get too busy.

I also don't place much value a keeping a jam-packed family schedule. I don't like to be really, really busy and I believe my children and my marriage benefit from that. The result, however, is that we may miss out on stuff.

I am learning to be ok with that. I am a slow learner, but thankfully, God is a patient teacher! And there's always someday. Maybe someday I will read that great new (old) book or finish that amazing pinterest project. Or maybe not, either way.

So here's to someday! And here's to enjoying today with my boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...